India’s First Fisheries Atal Incubation Centre to be Setup in Kerala
India’s first fisheries AIC (Atal Incubation Centre) to be set up at Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies (Kufos) in Kochi, Kerala to promote research, technological advancement, and entrepreneurship in fisheries and allied sectors.
Why in News?
Kufos has received a 10 crore grant from NITI Aayog to establish India’s first Atal Incubation Centre (AIC) for fisheries at the university.
Importance of AIC at Kufos
- The aim is to drive progress in the fisheries sector by creating a conducive environment for start-ups and innovative projects in the region.
- It will serve as a hub for innovation by developing technologies and solutions to the challenges facing marine ecosystems and fishing communities.
- The AIC will promote collaboration between academia, industry and government, and advance knowledge transfer and commercialization of research outcomes.
- It will play a central role in job creation by creating a favorable environment for start-ups and entrepreneurs to flourish.
About Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies (Kufos)
- An autonomous public funded institution and was setup in 2010 on November 20th.
- Kufos was established for the development of manpower in fisheries and ocean sciences.
- Kufos ensures proper teaching, training, research and extension in the State of Kerala.
- The university addresses the critical challenges facing marine ecosystems and fishing communities through innovative solutions.
About Atal Innovation Centre
- It was setup by NITI Aayog to create an evolving ecosystem for the Startups and Entreprenuers in 2016.
- AIM has successfully operationalised 69 Atal Incubation Centres in 18 states and 3 UTs of India.
- The Atal Innovation Centre (AIC) will serve as a hub for innovation and encourage young minds to develop cutting-edge technologies.
Fishries Atal Incubation Centre FAQs
Which is the first fisheries business incubator in India?
LINAC- NCDC Fisheries Business Incubation Centre (LlFlC) in Gurugram is the first fisheries business incubator in India.
Which university will set up India's first Atal Incubation Centre (AIC) in the field of fisheries?
Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies (Kufos), Kerala has received Rs. 10 crore funds from NITI Aayog to Setup Atal Incubation Centre in the field of fisheries.
Is AIC a part Atal Innovation Mission, NITI Aayog?
Yes, Atal Innovation Mission promotes Atal Incubation Centres in Universities, Colleges etc. and Atal Thinkering Labs in Schools etc.
What State leads the Fish Production in India?
Andhra Pradesh leads the Fish Production in India and Covers 29.32% of the market share however Kerala is ranked 7th in India.
Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies (kufos) University is Headquarted at?
It is headquarted at Panangad which is 12 km from Kochi City in Kerala.
Who is the Chancellor of Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies (Kufos)?
Arif Mohammad Khan who is the governor of kerala is the chancellor of kufos i.e. Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies.
Which Country ranks First in Fish Production?
China Ranks First in the First Production and India has recently been ranked second in the fish production.