India’s First Fisheries Atal Incubation Centre to be Setup in Kerala
Why in News?
Kufos has received a 10 crore grant from NITI Aayog to establish India’s first Atal Incubation Centre (AIC) for fisheries at the university.
Importance of AIC at Kufos
- The aim is to drive progress in the fisheries sector by creating a conducive environment for start-ups and innovative projects in the region.
- It will serve as a hub for innovation by developing technologies and solutions to the challenges facing marine ecosystems and fishing communities.
- The AIC will promote collaboration between academia, industry and government, and advance knowledge transfer and commercialization of research outcomes.
- It will play a central role in job creation by creating a favorable environment for start-ups and entrepreneurs to flourish.
About Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies (Kufos)
- An autonomous public funded institution and was setup in 2010 on November 20th.
- Kufos was established for the development of manpower in fisheries and ocean sciences.
- Kufos ensures proper teaching, training, research and extension in the State of Kerala.
- The university addresses the critical challenges facing marine ecosystems and fishing communities through innovative solutions.
About Atal Innovation Centre
- It was setup by NITI Aayog to create an evolving ecosystem for the Startups and Entreprenuers in 2016.
- AIM has successfully operationalised 69 Atal Incubation Centres in 18 states and 3 UTs of India.
- The Atal Innovation Centre (AIC) will serve as a hub for innovation and encourage young minds to develop cutting-edge technologies.